Thursday 19 May 2011

The Sky Made Solid (Friday Skies)

I've been doing some work this week with ideas about photosynthesis, and I have been struck by the idea that plants - or trees in this case - are just solid sky. Most of the new material that forms growing trees comes from carbon dioxide in the air, so a plant becomes solid air. That made me think about the link between the sky and trees. I found one photograph from a month or so back that seemed to express that idea, but I also managed to take some on the walk home from work. The first picture is of Mountain Ash - these can grow to be the tallest flowering plants in the world. The next images are of an Angaphora species - its growing on a railway cutting near my office!





































So here they are "The sky made solid". Tell me what you think!

You can find more Friday Skies here and the most recent post from my other blog by clicking the “Paying Ready Attention” link on the RHS of the screen.

14 comments:

  1. love that first shot, especially! full of soaring possibilities. interesting idea of solid sky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I especially liked the first one :) Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting idea. I love the first one, it has great depth, or in the case, height! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see huge trees and the sky is clear and blue. Great shot!
    SWF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent shots. Great perspective on that first one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're all terrific captures, Stewart, and like the others the first one really took my breath away! Marvelous perspective! Hope you enjoy a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful shots! I love the dizzying perspective of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots--love looking "up" through the trees at the sky. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do wish our government would realise the significance of the carbon storing capacity of live trees instead of filling their coffers by imposing a carbon tax.
    Love your shots of the trees against the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those angaphora trees have such a smooth surface. I feel small when I look up at those tall trees in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great insight! I never thought of it this way, but it makes sense. I am wondering whether your Mountain Ash is different from the one here or in Europe. I have never seen them grow this tall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first one is the best. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favourite way to see the sky is through the branches of trees, but I never made the connection before - interesting thoughts!

    ReplyDelete