Sunday 26 February 2012

Macro Monday - Blue Skimmer

Another very hot day today – so took a morning walk around one of our local lakes. Still hotter than was comfortable, and the presence of two energetic kids does not always help the stalking of wildlife!


This dragonfly is a Blue Skimmer (Orthetrum caledonicum) which is common in these parts of the world. The pale blue sections of the ‘tail’ (abdomen) fade off over summer, so exposure is a bit of a nightmare (as you can see) in bright sunshine.


You can find more macro shots at Macro Monday.


You can find the latest post to my other blog by clicking on the Paying Ready Attention image on the RHS of the screen.


Enjoy the close ups.

16 comments:

  1. Okay Stewart, tell us your secret... how did you get this critter to sit still long enough to photograph it? :-) Excellent shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a beauty!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, a beauty indeed! Terrific capture, Stewart! He was a cooperative little guy wasn't he?! I love it! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely a nice summertime sight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I wouldn't give for a hot day. I know in a few months I might change my tune but right now one would be nice.
    I can hardly wait to be capturing these little guys around my pond again.
    Lovely capture - beautiful composition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great activity for a hot day. Wonderful capture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beauty! There are lots of them around the pond in a park near my apartment, sometimes they stay long enough for me to capture them, sometimes they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did well to capture a dragonfly photo with your energetic spotters in tow. Hope the weather cools soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beauty! Fantastic picture

    Herding Cats


    http://seathreepeeo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great macro! I would take the heat over blizzards and snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice macro shot.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful capture!

    Happy MM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful dragonfly! I really long for summer now, when all the flowers, insects and birds are coming back :) Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete