Tuesday 19 August 2014

Cromer, North Norfolk

Cromer sits on the north coast of Norfolk, looking out to the bleak waters of the North Sea.

It has a beach with strands of wave washed flints, and a fine looking church.

But it also has an atmosphere of mournful emptiness - not the genteel decay of some other British seaside towns that have drifted past their sell by date, but a more tangible feeling of finality.  The town was neat and tidy, but it seemed that nothing was happening - maybe that's the charm some people find in the place, but if that's the case, it passed me by.

There is the distinct possibility that the place was actually shut while I was there, and that nobody had put up the notices on the edge of town to tell me about it.  If the town itself was not shut, then the "award wining" fish and chip shop where we eat a meal should consider it a sensible way to go.

Strangely, I find some of the images I made far more interesting than the time I spent there!

Maybe I was in a bad mood.  Who knows.




The flint beach was the best part of the town.  Each fishing boat the launches off the beach seems to have its own vintage tractor to haul it to and out of the water.  All of the tractors were falling apart in about a million different rusty ways.



I hope you like the pictures, and if you happen to live in Cromer, sorry for the less than glowing review!

You can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.  SM

30 comments:

  1. Interesting looking place and great captures as always, Stewart!! Hope your new week is off to a good start!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stewart--you HAD to be in a bad mood when you were there. :-) It's charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How romantic! Going down to the sea in--wait, what--a tractor? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cemetery or memorial marker is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have been in Aus too long with its warm seas and golden beaches. You have forgotten the charm of the British sea side with its ice cold waters and gritty beaches. I spent many happy holidays on that coast when the children were young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no rule that you have to absolutley love every town you visit. I did like your photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that shot of the street (under the King's Head sign). Looks like an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well your photographs do justice 'photogenically speaking' Stewart. I couldn't feel that emptiness and decay that you experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely colourful surround to the gravesite. Perhaps the absence of a bustling, thriving crowd led to a sense of melancholy Stewart. Got to love those old tractors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like the door(s) on the church. Too bad the visit wasn't more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the arched door photo and the winding street shot for OWT ~

    musedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The church is pretty, I love the flowers.. And the beach is very nice! Sorry, this town was not exciting? Great photos, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps the residents had all gone on holiday somewhere else!!

    Just as well you didn't visit during the winter Stewart as most places along the North Norfolk Coast are very quiet at that time BUT that's when we enjoy natures other visitors ... ooo's of Geese, Ducks and Waders.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos, maybe a nice place to spend some quiet time??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love the old church and street!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes, your imges are great. And my husband especially enjoyed to see the fishing boat and the vintage tractor :-)
    Sincerely from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Geweldig z,on graf met weidebloemen en dan die oude tractor heel mooi gezien.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A most interesting series. My favourites are the first and third. Great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must say that the pictures do look like it was a nice place to visit...maybe you just missed the sun of Australia?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My first visit to Our World Tuesday and I've never been to Cromer so it's a day of firsts ;D
    Great photos. Thanks for letting me tag along.
    Have a great week
    Neesie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant captures!

    And yes it is a black kite on the tower in the picture in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How a wonderful place :)
    Lovely photos !

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never seen a tractor used to pull a boat!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice tour, Stewart! LOVE that second shot, and the old tractor is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely shots, Stewart. A friend of mine went to Cromer to see the puffins. He came back happy having seen his birds, but didn't say much about the rest of it. Maybe he felt the same way as you. All the best, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely photos! I really like the old tractor pulling the boat. Must be the farm girl in me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful captures of the life there, Stewart. Have a great time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't live in Cromer and I loved the post. It may be old, it may have seen better days, but it's still chugging along. GREAT photos and information Stewart.

    ReplyDelete