Thursday 26 February 2015

With just a hint on a rainbow

It would be honest to say that the weather at Cradle Mountain in Tasmania was not as good as we had hoped for - although it did mean we were justified in lighting a fire in the afternoon each day!

On the morning of our last day there I went back up to Dove Lake to see if there were any pictures to be had.  While the wind was not the coldest I have ever felt, it was the coldest I have felt in years!  In some places it was hard to stand up.

And then, for about two minutes there was sunshine - and this faint rainbow popped out.  I tried like hell to make the rainbow pop as much in the picture as I could - but I was losing touch with my fingers by this - just after I took this shot it started snowing - and remember this is summer!


As with many of my pictures, it looks much bigger larger!

You can find more skies from around the world at Sky Watch Friday.  SM

28 comments:

  1. A bit like Ireland. All the seasons in 1 day!! Yes the shots is much better bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good shot, and lovely image caught just at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a cold, windy and snowy day? I love the scene and the rainbow. Great shot, Stewart! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is pretty. I have a really hard job catching rainbows, but then I'm not exactly a rainbows and butterflies kind of girl. Especially when it comes to photography, so I tip my hat to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stewart,
    This is a beautiful picture of the rainbow.
    Perfect photographed.
    Nature is really changing, in the summer when there is snow, unimaginable.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrr

    At least you got that promise of beautiful days to come...the awe inspiring rainbow. ahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice rainbow shot. Way to sacrifice your fingers to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love crazy weather? Nice rainbow though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, gorgeous indeed, Stewart!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to the cold, snowy and windy..I really dislike the wind...That scene reminds me of the cliffs in Ireland..Pretty scene..Good catch with the rainbow..

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful, Stewart! How poetic, the names of so many places you visit--Dove Lake, Cradle Mountain, Wineglass Bay! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A rainbow is always nice to find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful, serene scene Stewart. Happy weekend to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an exquisite view Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like that hint of a rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You may have been cold but I was panting like a pup while shooting mine. We seem to have been hovering around 40C for weeks on end. I see you are getting rain today, I wish . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. You achieved a superb result under difficult conditions. Well done!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A rainbow & snow are something I've never seen on the same day! (though we get sun dogs on very cold days.)
    Great shot, Stewart. Sorry the weather wasn't kinder to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a good job. I can see the rainbow just fine. I never saw a rainbow until several years after I was grown. I always wanted to see one before that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks rather forbidding - better than in winter no doubt too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like a great place. Even better when enlarged (like you said).

    ReplyDelete