Sunday 19 February 2012

Macro Monday - Figure of 8 Knot

A weekend of that most suburban of tasks, gardening, reminded me of these pictures I took a few years ago.

While trimming the excess growth from a wisteria I found this knot. It had probably been formed by the plants responding to stimulus of light and gravity.

This process had formed a figure of eight knot – beloved of climbers. I think it was the first new knot I learned when I started to climb.

So, here we have an example of apparent design without either purpose or intelligence. It was a good thing to find. This weekend of snipping and clipping yielded no such interest! But the mid afternoon tea and cake tasted mighty fine!

You can find more macros at Macro Monday.

You can find the most recent post to my other blog by clicking on the Paying Ready Attention image on the RHS of the page.

Enjoy the close ups.

19 comments:

  1. Love the green knot you found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing, I thought it must have been tied by someone! The knot is also beloved of sailors who also need stopper knots i rigging :)

    Thanks for the visit to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think tea and cake sounds like a fitting reward after gardening! And I agree, vines can make endlessly fascinating subjects. Sometimes they even spell out words (well, almost ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always so neat to find something so perfect and so unexpected in nature like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unusual...but a nice knot.
    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what nature creates sometimes ~ awesome shot ~namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing find. I've never seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I'm not very familiar with wisteria, but am wondering...might this dry beautifully?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shot - very interesting!
    Happy Macro Monday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find. Happy Macro Monday!

    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing find!

    Herding Cats

    http://seathreepeeo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting and unusual.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful picture, looks like a pretzel. Have a nice week. Greetings from Romania.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great find!

    Happy MM

    ReplyDelete
  15. How interesting that the plant formed this knot naturally. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete