Wednesday 13 June 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday 307 - Superb Lyrebird

Last weekend we spent a couple of days away from Melbourne, just outside a small town called Warburton.  The area around Warburton, and the garden of the house we stayed in, is naturally covered in dampish forest - tall gum trees and thick under brush.

This is pretty much perfect habitat for the Superb Lyrebird (Menura novaehollandiae).  At about 1m long for the males, they are one of the worlds largest songbirds.  They have a remarkable ability to mimic other bird song, and also sounds from their environment.  A bird in an Australian zoo used to be famous for making the noise of a camera and a motor drive!  Unfortunately, many of these birds can now mimic car alarms, mobile phone tones and chain saw as well.

Due to the season this bird - as I think all the pictures are of the same bird - was silent all weekend.  I think this bird is a female, as it seems to lack the flamboyant tail of the male.

I always think of this bird as being a bit of a combination between a chicken and the Road Runner (Unfortunately, I can only base my knowledge of the road-runner on the cartoon!)

I have found this bird hard to photograph in the past, as it tends to like deep undergrowth and dense tree cover.  This bird was feeding in the garden of the house we were in, and as a result I was able to get some images.









As ever, to join in with WBW click on the blue button.    Cheers, SM.

23 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Bravo Stewart... I never did manage to capture a Lyre in the lens - although was once within touching distance. Just no camera at the time!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen videos with examples of this bird's vocal abilities. Nice variety of poses but would love to see the male with tail expanded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bird reminds me of a cross between a chachalaca and roadrunner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. to my dissappointment I only got a glimpse of this beauty. But you can´t have it all, can you?
    You got great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your description is spot on from what I can see. Fascinating creature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting bird, especially the vocalizing part. It does remind me of the roadrunners I see in my S CA desert, especially through the tail. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bird really blends in with its surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this bird just once when I last visited Australia and that was a fairly fleeting glimpse as the bird crossed the road. I hope for a better experience this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb photos of a lovely bird. Well done. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen this one. Love the tail feathers! I can see where it would be difficult to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Stewart, just a pity the colourful didn't turn up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Except for it's head , it looks similar to our Pheasant..albeit a skinny one..pretty tail feathers..Thanks for hosting..

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mimicry is amazing! And what a beautiful unusual songbird!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stewart, what a great capture of the Superb Lyrebird. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes very unusual to see it so close and able to get these wonderul photographs of the Lyrebird. Thanks for linking me in last week stewart. I had a great holiday. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not familiar with this bird. Very interesting post and wonderful series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh...I need to visit Australia! I've seen those on David Attenbouroughs program...their voices are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet-looking bird but I don't think I'd want him making all those noises!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting how many birds are good mimics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoy seeing birds from across the pond!

    ReplyDelete