Wednesday 20 June 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday 308 - Pied Currawong

When we spent the long weekend away at Warburton, our house often rang to the call of the Pied Currawong.  The rather magnificent bird has a wonderful, almost mechanical call.  Despite its (mostly) all black plumage the Pied Currawong (Strepera graculina) is not a crow, being more closely related to Butcher birds and the Australian Magpie.

I think this bird was expecting to be given some decent food by us - I think it was disappointed with the seeds from my camera bean bag!






As ever, to join in with WBW click on the blue button.    Cheers, SM.

22 comments:

  1. Very striking eyes-- they seem to look right through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very handsome bird with the touches of yellow and white! Nice bokeh, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The white patches are pretty distinctive. It’s a good looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a beautiful bird. I did see it but not this close :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari om
    Always loved the currawong! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking bird, interesting expressions. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does have a crow like head and look. A beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bird's expressions are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a crow, indeed...nice to discover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those eyes do remind me of a Jackdaw. I would have put it in the crow family. Thanks for putting me right Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first, I thought this was a crow. Nice shots. Looks like he enjoyed his photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete

  12. Loooooove those eyes.

    I've never met a blackbird I didn't love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s eyes remind me of a grackle. Wish I could see the wing spread. That bit of white mustbelarger on the wing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He looks like his tail was dipped in ink or white paint..Piercing eyes..Crow like bird..Good pics Stewart..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful bird! Has an intelligent look!

    ReplyDelete
  16. He looks like he had enough to eat already!

    ReplyDelete
  17. He has bright eyes like our grackles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stewart, what a great capture of the Pied Currawong. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a piercing yellow eye!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful bird and shots. .happy weekend

    ReplyDelete