Tuesday 3 May 2016

A Quollity Animal.

I dont normally post pictures of captive animals - in fact I dont really take many pictures of captive animals - but this is an exception due to the extreme Quollity of this animal!

This is a Tiger Quoll, or Spotted-tailed Quoll - Dasyurus maculates - which is a cat sized marsupial predator.  In my part of Australia this species has suffered a huge decline in range and abundance since European settlement - although there have been some encouraging sightings of the species in recent years.  This animal is one of a (very) small group breeding group held at Serendip Sanctuary, about an hour from my house.

This Quoll (pronounced to rhyme with doll) was having a bit of laze about it what may be the last warm sun for a while.  Once I managed to find a way to shoot pictures through the leaves I was please to see the quoll open its eyes and have a bit of a look around.

What a Quollity animal!






You can can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday, although I doubt you find too many other quoll posts!  SM

19 comments:

  1. Kinda looks like our Possum..Different tail and color..OK, maybe not that much alike...Good shots Stewart...Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, cute critter! I like the spots. Great photos and sighting. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I've never heard of this one. Good post Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Stewart!:) Great play on words!:) Quollity critter indeed! I have never even heard of a Quoll before, but it has a cute face and nice markings.
    Have a good week!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    this is why we do still need zoos and sanctuaries Stewart - sad as it is, it may be the only way we will see such gorgeous critters. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of nor have I seen one of these interesting creatures. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for introducing a new animal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute pics! I've never heard of this animal but thanks to you I now know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating animal and great shots!

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute critter. Thanks for doing your best to protect endangered species, including this post, which educates us and also lets us enjoy the photos of this guy.
    Have a Happy Week, Stewart!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. First time I hear about this marsupial! He is so cute. Is this species endangered? I get more and more surprised by Australia every day (and I like it).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I am so glad yoo did photograph this animal as I have never heard of it let alone seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just when I thought I'd read your blog long enough to know a little about Australia's wonderfully different animals and birds, you come up with another one I've never heard of. He's pretty cute soaking up those last rays. Love the name .... It's hard to restrain myself from more puns, but you covered the good ones. Also, I'm hoping I get a chance to use this guy in Scrabble or WWF someday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He makes me want to take a nap in the sun! Great shots of a really neat animal, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too think it looks like our opossum. I don't think a Quoll would make for a good pet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of this animals before, how interesting and thanks for sharing. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute critter! I've never heard of a quoll before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's face looks a lot like an opossum. He sure seems to be enjoying the sun.
    Thanks for introducing me to another creature that I've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete