Wednesday 20 July 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday 208 - Grey Shrike-Thrush

Back on home turf for this weeks WBW.

I think everyone has birds that they have trouble seeing - or in this case photographing.  I have struggled (with no good reason) to get anything resembling decent pictures of Grey Shrike-Thrush.  This is not because it is rare, or lives in the depths of a dark and dismal swamps with not light, its just that I did not seem to get decent pictures of this species.

So, when I was out for a morning wander at The Prom a couple of weeks ago I was pleased to encounter this bird.  I think it may have been looking for food from me, as it was hopping around a BBQ area.  I had to disappoint it!

The Grey Shrike-Thrush (Colluricincla harmonica) is about 22-26 cm long and its behaviour (at least on the ground) reminds me of a Song Thrush or a Blackbird.  The common name is a great example of one that makes no real sense, as the bird in neither Shrike nor Thrush.  However, in this case I can see the similarity to Thrushes, and the "shrike" bit comes from the birds powerful beak.  The 'harmonica' part of the formal name refers to the birds musical ability - which is very high.  I always think of the word 'silver' when I hear their ringing call.

One of the reasons I like this bird is that it manages to be magnificent without being colourful.






You may not be surprised to find out that you can join in with WBW by clicking on the blue button below!  SM

29 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Magnificent in understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very subtle, yet handsome bird. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unknown to me, very nice bird.
    Good shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m glad you finally got your images. It IS a beautiful little one :)

    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Described as drab but I prefer dapper and the song (I checked it out on zeno-canto.org) is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful little thing with its golden eyebrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You took the words right out of my mouth. On first glance the Shrike looked like an ordinary bird, but as I looked closer, I was struck by it'a subtle beauty. I am glad you finally got the opportunity to capture him in all of his glory ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Portraits...each and ALL photos. I have that problem too - often!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is a stunner of a bird. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute little thing and you captured it well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI, LUCKY YOU, PLAIN BUT PLEASANT. I HAVE A PAIR LIVING AROUND OUR HOME AND THEY ARE VERY SHY BIRDS AND LIKE TO STAY UNDER THE TREE CANOPY,AND THEY DO NOT WAIT FOR ME TO PICK UP MY CAMERA. JUST LOVE THEIR SONG, SO PRETTY.ENJOYING YOUR SITE AND BEAUTIFUL PHOTO,S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You caught the bird in a variety of nice poses. Aside from ist color, its shape rmeinds me of our American Robin, but with very short legs and maybe a shorter but more substantial bill. Glad you finally "found" this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy learning about new birds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you've finally been successful in getting some nice shots of it. Hmm, I wonder if they've just run out of names for birds? LOL It is a beautiful bird, so glad we get to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful bird.
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. By the looks of those shots, I'd say you were successful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have several birds that are camera shy and I don't have the patience to pursue them..They have to be "sitting ducks" so to speak...I always enjoy your efforts..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stewart, A fine bird. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As usual, you always have great and yet unknown-to-me species.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought the photos were great. I went online and listened to their songs. You're right, they were wonderful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute little bird! The name seems strange.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I find all birds hard to capture. They just don't sit still enough.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photos. Sorry I have not been visiting, but after being away for a month in the USA, and we are now redecorating our house after 10 years - time is at a minimum. I hope to be back to normal soon but with over 2000 holiday photos to go through..... Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. He is quite magnificent! Nicely captured!

    ReplyDelete
  25. He IS stately and, yes, magnficent in his monochrome beauty! I wish I had a bird of any color to post.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like a smashing bird. Looks to me like a cross between a Blackbird (in shape) and Dunnock (in colouration).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, now you can't say you aren't able to get good photos of this species anymore! Terrific shots! And I see what you mean by it looks great without much flashy color.

    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's beauty is not only in the "silver" plumage, and silver song, but in its lovely form...a good bird to try to track down to shoot...this time he tracked you down! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely shots, Stewart, and glad you finally got this bogey-bird sorted out with your camera. I always call this plain, outstanding singer the "Susan Boyle of the Bush" haha! :-D

    ReplyDelete