Wednesday 5 December 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday 332 - Kingfisher

Kingfishers (Alcedo atthis) are wonderful birds.  They are always a highlight for me.  Being back in Somerset a few weeks ago gave me a chance to catch up with this species.

I spent a huge amount of time as a kid fishing, so I saw these birds on a more than occasionally; but they never lost that charm of being something special.   The flash of blue as they shot across ponds or rivers was always a wonderful thing to see.

I caught up with this female (the orange on the beak is a give away) at Ham Walls RSPB reserve.  These are not the greatest pictures, but they are the first ones I have taken of this species in the UK.

Splendid birds.





As ever, you can join in with WBW by clicking on the blue button below the thumbnails.  Cheers SM

(Today I will be starting the longest day on a six day walk in Tasmania- wish me luck!)

20 comments:

  1. Good luck and have fun! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see a Kingfisher but even better to photograph it Stewart. thanks for hosting and have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had of taken those photos I would have been very happy! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is really colorful. I caught one this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are extremely colorful-- almost like jewels! Good luck on your long walk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we should start a petition to rename this species from Common Kingfisher to Stunning Dazzler!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful bird for sure. Lovely colors. Very vibrant. Great shots. I hope you're having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots! One of the prettiest birds that I know...

    ReplyDelete
  9. King fishers are difficult to shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are cool looking birds...with a hint of attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving the color of "yours", Stewart, although I do look forward to seeing and hearing the ones here...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stewart, what a colorful Kingfisher. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely colors on this kingfisher!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful! I'd hoped to see some whilst in the UK in 2013, but never managed to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous bird! And enjoyed learning about the Mendip Hills in the earlier post (and on Wiki, because I had to go look up where they were... I didn't realize you'd been back to Somerset -- some people say you can't go home again, but obviously, you can and with fantastic results! Thanks for sharing that trip and I look forward to some pictures at some time in the future from the amazing walk you'oe on now!

    ReplyDelete