Wednesday 12 December 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday 333 - Grey Heron

Grey Herons (Ardea cinerea) were one of the few large predatory birds that were (reasonably) common in the countryside when I was a kid.

They were waterside watchers, reed-bed statues that I saw when I fished.  They were often more successful than I was!

These pictures were taken at a range of locations in Somerset when I was back in the UK last month. It was good to get some close views of this often nervous bird.








I do rather like the last image - I think it says more about the nature of the bird than the other pictures.

As ever to join in with WBW click on the blue button below the thumbnails.  SM

(There seems to be an issue with being able to comment on some Blogs - the Google Account does not work and the comment is lost - I'm trying to work out why!  SM)


13 comments:

  1. I like seeing birds in their natural habitat... But, close-ups give one more detail of their coloring and feather pattern. Beautiful Heron
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great photos but yes I also like the last one to give an idea of habitat. Hope all is well. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    they are so graceful... but mean in the eye!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stewart. I got your comment fine thanks. Google has been troublesome I agree. I wonder if you notice over here now that the Grey heron is actually rather scarce while the Little Egret outnumber it many times over?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! Herons are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots! The Great Blue Herons that we see here aren't as skittish...lucky for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a cool bird! And I like the last photo too - I like seeing what birds look like in their habitat, and what the habitat looks like too, so thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so similar to our Great blue herons! Love the herons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful birds! I love to see Herons
    Glad you found a way to comment again. In answer to your question on my Tree Following post, yes, that is a bird nest in the tree. I had hopes of seeing baby birds, but the nest was not used this past year.
    Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The way herons hang around fishermen around here, you'd think they were domestic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He reminds me of our great blue herons, only with a fancy hat! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful close-up captures! I like your descriptions... waterside watchers, reed-bed statues. Very accurate!

    ReplyDelete