Wednesday 11 September 2019

Wild Bird Wednesday 373 - Little Pied Cormorant

The Little Pied Cormorant (Microcarbo melanoleucos) is a common enough bird in Australia, but I was a little surprised to find one on my local patch last weekend.  It seemed to be a common bird in an uncommon place.

I though I would try something at little different this week, and a pied bird make me think of black and white.

So, here is a Little Pied Cormorant rendered as black and white.





I may sound like a bit of a stuck record here, but I am about to start a very busy three weeks with a combination of work, travel and family events making for a bit of a full calendar.  So, WBW will roll on, but I may be less than prompt in replies etc.

As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the link below - and also as ever, please feel free to share the love for WBW with other bloggers!  Cheers. SM



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

  1. Lovely shots and I may also not be around for a while, so much going on in our life at present. Will return eventually I hope. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very fortunate to an the original painting of Little Pied Cormorant by Barry Kent MacKay on my wall. I am tempted to sing Advance Australia Fair each time I walk past it - but I don't know the words. Perhaps a few lines of Waltzing Matilda will suffice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh he (it) is so cute!!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Handsome formal coat! When I hear pied or piebald I think of a patchy pattern. This bird seems to be uniformly black above and white below, approximately. Maybe the meaning of the word has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice in black and white and I love the reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes this bird certainly lends itself to B & W photography. Lovely images. Thanks for hosting and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it Looks great in b&w. A handsome one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting looking Cormorant Stewart. (I've only seen solid black ones where I live.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very different but I like. This cormorant is so cute.
    Good week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stewart, my home province of Newfoundland has many cormorants with lots of stories/fables about them too. You can imagine what form they would take with the cormorants there being all black, very tall and imposing compared to the other birds.
    Anyway, I'm hoping someone can help with the identification of this bird that I thought was a raven. Don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He looks nice... and a bit awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Stewart for the fine photo and for hosting us

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the BlACK AND WHITE..I have done that on occasion with some of my favorite pictures..Enjoy your next several weeks away..You will be missed..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice capture. I love the reflections too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything in Oz is just a bit showier, huh.

    Gud fer yall

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like black and white pictures :-)) I am old enough to remember the time when all pictures were black and white ;-D

    ReplyDelete