Tuesday 5 November 2019

A Whale Tale

Last weekend I went on a whale watching tour that started from Port Welshpool and travelled down the east coast of Wilsons Promontory.  I had never seen that part of the Prom from the sea before, and I like whales - so it was a good. mix.

The weather on the day was really variable - heavy rain followed by bright sun.  We saw at least 7 or 8, and maybe more, whales.  However, they all remained rather distant from the boat and were just in travelling, rather than playing mode!  Shame really, but it was great to get out into the (very) fresh air after too much time in the office over the last few weeks.

As you can (just) see in the first picture there were two whales in sight at this time.  You will need to make the picture large to see the second, distant flipper.  As far as I know, all of these whales are Humpback Whales.








You can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.  SM

9 comments:

  1. Where are all the pelagic birds, Stewart? Mind you, Humpback Whales would certainly fuel my enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve seen those animals from a boat tour. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Any sighting 'in the fin' makes for a grand experience! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are anyway wonderful to see, even from a distance.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous..Whale watching is very near the top of my "love to do " list (if there is such a thing)..Great pictures..It seems that most that are seen almost anywhere seem to be Humpbacks..I'll take any of them..Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whales at any distance are a great sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I must have done the same tour, Stewart! We also saw a few whales, which was great, but I also loved just being able to see that side of the Prom, and to see it from the water was pretty amazing.

    (PS. Here is my post: http://flyingsouthbirding.blogspot.com/2017/11/cruising-prom.html )

    ReplyDelete