Tuesday 2 June 2020

Wild Bird Wednesday 410 - Brown Falcon

The Brown Falcon (Falco berigora) can be found over all of Australia, with its short brown trousers and vertical face stripes it is a great bird to watch.  I have seen far more of these than I have photographed, and I was pleased to find one perched on a fence near one of the public roads at Werribee Sewage farm last week.

I managed to get away for a few hours, and with a (sensible level) of lock down relaxation in place I was able to get out.  And what better place to avoid people than a sewage works.  The 'best' parts of the farm for biding are still off limits, but it was nice to get out.

As is often the case with birds of prey, the other birds were less please to see it than I was.  This bird was being harassed by a group of ravens, the exact identification of which escapes me!










As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the link below - and also as ever, please feel free to share WBW with other bloggers.  SM


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

16 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Not that Mr Falcon was necessarily going to take the hint! Smart looking bird. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! It will be great too when it is safe enough for us to be allowed back into the WTP again - I haven't been for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is pretty, as many birds of prey are.
    Thanks for sharing.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, memories of Werribee. What a fabulous place! And if I am not mistaken Stewart, it was when we stopped to look at a Brown Falcon, we spotted two Brolgas, among the "best" birds of the trip for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Handsome bird in a place which is very attractive (to birds and birders).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great set of this hawk. Crows don't like these birds.
    Friendship

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can feel your pleasure at being out again. Nice post thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. A handsome bird! Good to get some action shots, too.
    Thanks for hosting Wild Bird Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Stewart! What a great series of images!

    That is one handsome falcon.

    Yep, sewer works - no people, lots of birds. My kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a handsome bird. Good shots with the ravens in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sewage works? I would not have thought of that. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Stewart, the Falco berigora is very beautiful. I never saw them. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a quick look but couldn't confirm we have brown falcons here in Ontario, Canada. However, we do have falcons and for a while, I thought it was kind of my bird in that I would spy one on a wire often while driving or in the large front tree at the farm. Once when I returned from a month long holiday, one flew across the car as I was driving to the farm, landed on a bit of old fence. I stopped the car and we looked at each other. As it flew off I thought of it as my welcome home. Silly, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome series of photos

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely series of shots. He doesn't seem to be bothered by much of anything! I'm glad you could get out and about for a while.


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete