Tuesday 4 August 2020

Wild Bird Wednesday 419 - Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoo

These birds are Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoos (Calyptorhynchus funereus).  The pictures were taken a month or so ago when Victoria had a brief period when the C19 restrictions were lifted a little.  We are back in a solid lockdown here and I am not a happy chap!

These birds were feeding in a wattle tree, and the first picture is the closest I have got so far to capturing their classic 'bark shredding' behaviour when they are searching for grubs.  This flock of birds was flushed by the rather heavy footed approach of another birder - but I was able to get the picture of the birds with the blue sky as a result.











As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the link below - and also as ever, please feel free to share WBW with other bloggers.

Stay Safe. SM


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

  1. Funny and so cute.
    All the best, Stewart, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing bird, Stewart. It is good to have archives to mine during the C19 crisis which has bedevilled us all in one fashion or another. Stay safe! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Black Cockies are my favourite birds! Thanks for sharing - I probably won't be seeing any for while thanks to super-lockdown! Three did fly down my street during the last lockdown, and I heard some further away another time, but they are not common at all around my place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this one. Love the yellow patch! The noisy birder resulted in some nice photos against the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look big and the yellow markings are dramatic. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    Good luck with the lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lockdown and curfew! No good so stay safe Stewart. Wonderful looking bird and great shots. Thanks for hosting and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very unusual-looking birds (but aren't nearly all of your birds unfamiliar to me!). I rarely meet another human, much less a birder, in our local patch. Our birds are generally not accustomed to humans, so it is often difficult to approach them very closely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hari OM
    A treat for the eyes! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice markings and coloring on this bird..Unusual..Distinctive and dramatic...Hope all is well..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting bird! Thanks for hosting and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent photos. My nephew is also in Melbourne so we know just how frustrating it all is for you. I would not be surprised if we do not go back to lockdown, the holiday makers are not keeping the the rules!!
    Stay safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yet another new species for me to marvel over! Great images, Stewart, and I continue to add to a bucket list which as become overwhelmed.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoi Stewart, beautiful photos of this cockatoo, nice colour black and yellow. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete