Wednesday 30 August 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 579 - White-Headed Stilt

I never tire of seeing White-Headed Stilts (Himantopus leucocephalus) - and I know I have shared pictures of them before. 

The combination of the simple, elegant plumage, the crazy long longs and bill just seem to fascinate me.  They are not normally hard to find in some of my regular birding spots, but when I find them, I always feel like I have seen something worthwhile! 

This bird ('these birds' if you count the one in the background) was feeding in a temporary pool in the Point Cook Wetlands.  It did not stay for long - but looked great while it was there.






As ever, to join in with WBW you can click on the blue button below.  Hope all is well with everyone.  Cheers.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

  1. Never seen one before. They are indeed elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    There is something vaguely reminiscent of the Avocet in these elegant birds... I quite see their attraction! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those legs are amazing - I've forgotten the word for when knees bend backwards (And I don't really understand why this is preferable,,,,but there must be a reason - off to google)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The legs are so slender and petite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and interesting bird!

    ReplyDelete