Sunday 12 May 2024

Green Sky at Night

Like many other people, I became an aurora chaser this weekend.  For me, the target was the Aurora Australis - the Southern Lights.  The Southern Lights are the less well publicised brother of the Northern Lights!

I had never managed to really see either of the Lights before, so we all took off to Point Lonsdale (about and hour and a half from home) to see what we could see.

Now in this cases it's reasonable to say that the camera sees what eye only glimpses - but even with the naked eye you could see colours in the sky. 

After a great deal of messing around I was able to start getting images in camera.  I have also tried not to manipulate these images too much - although I have run them through de-noising software to get rid of the inevitable noise. 













I may have to go back out again tonight!  SM

13 comments:

  1. The sky has been putting on quite a show of late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An emerald rainbow. So incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful captures. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I trust that that is a good representation of what you saw. And I deeply appreciated! Very striking and to me A most engaging photographs I've seen of this whole event. Thank you Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic. I have yet to see them. We have had cloudy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your pictures. It was cloudy and rainy here all weekend so we didn't get to see it. I have never had the pleasure. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stewart those are absolutely beautiful sky pictures. I guess I sort of knew about the Southern Lights, but don't think I've ever seen pictures. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent photos Stewart. I missed it. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic views..... excellent shots

    ReplyDelete