Wednesday 9 October 2024

Wild BIrd Wednesday 637 - Two Birds of Prey.

The Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris) and the Nankeen Kestrel (Falco cenchroides) are two of Australis more common and widespread birds of prey.

Both can be seen on most days birding, and are often seen hovering about the grassy edges of freeways.  They are other the bird of prey you see while going to look for other birds.  As a result I think that they can be undervalued at times.

As you can see they are really rather good looking birds, and I think their ubiquity should not reduce how they are valued!

Anyway, both of these birds were hunting around the bushes and roadside edges of the Werribee Sewage works.  Although you can see it, the Nakeen Kestrel has a mouse (?) in its claws until it objected to my presence and flew off.  

The Black-shouldered Kite was just sitting and making occasional forays into the local area, until it too objected to my presence and felt off as well.









As ever, to join in with WBW click on the blue link below.  Cheers  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I love the "Are you looking at me?!" head tilts! All birds are worth our time, Stewart, I agree - ubiquity should not count against them! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black-shouldered kites, we used to have many of them in the old Rhodesian days. There do not seem to be so many around in S.Africa on our last couple of visits :-) They have though recently appeared in France, I have friends in the Dordogne who have spotted a few in the last couple of years. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete