Thursday 19 April 2012

SkyWatch Friday - Moon Halo

For better or worse I dragged myself into work today – time and deadlines wait for no man!
Another Kangaroo Island shot – maybe I should get some form of commission from their Tourist Board!
This is a Moon Halo.  It’s caused by light being refracted through six-sided crystals of ice floating in the upper atmosphere.  Because the ice crystals are the same size and shape you end up with a regular pattern being perceived – in this case a circle.
I think of it as the same way as I think about rainbows – a splendid thing to see and no less splendid for knowing how its formed.  Unweaving a rainbow – or in this case, unpacking a halo -  never reduces its beauty.
You can find more sky shots from around the world at SkyWatch Friday.
Enjoy the Skies.

13 comments:

  1. Wow - I've never seen this before. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job getting it on camera! i've tried and couldn't get it right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We see these halos on rare occasions here in the northwest and it is an awesome sight! Haven't ever been able to get a good shot though! Yours are terrific, Stewart!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool sighting of the halo and the moon. Thanks for sharing, happy skywatching. Have a great weekend, Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot and good explanation!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture you show.
    Wishing you a good weekend.
    Hugs Hanne Bente / hbt.finus.dk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this... my Skywatch is the moon too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a new info for me, with a nice example shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once worked (as a secretary) for a geologist who said he wished he could go back to childhood and just admire rocks because they were beautiful, without analyzing their makeup. (Maybe he was in the wrong profession.) Your moon halo is beautiful, whether you are as ignorant as I am (or at ealst was before your explanation) or as smart as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how interesting Stewart; I'd never heard of these before. Thanks for the info' and photograph too; well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shot of the halo!

    ReplyDelete