Tuesday 12 July 2016

Black Wallaby / Swamp Wallaby

A slice of pure Australiana this week - these are Black Wallabys, or as I was introduced to them Swamp Wallabys.

These are a solitary wallaby that I tend to see the rear of more often than the front - they are a wee bit shy and tend to bounce off at the slightest sound.  The first set of shot show how effective a car can be as a hide (blind) when photographing wildlife.  The first three pictures were taken at Wilsons Prom.

I think that the second animal has become used to people as it was loitering near the edge of a woodland carpark near Kinglake.  In fact, this second animal may be unwell, as it had a large growth on the right side of its face (which I have chosen not to show).






I also suspect that this large dark animal may be source of many of the 'big cat' reports the surface from time to time in Victoria.

You can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.


23 comments:

  1. geweldig zoals zij je ook aankijkt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stewart, cool shot of the Wallaby. They are neat critters. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me peek with you. :)

    All shots I could never get. I'm not one to sit behind a blind. I'm pretty much a constant motion kind of person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exquisite animal and beautiful photos!

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks almost like a bear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting!
    Have a great week!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great captures, Stewart. I too was blessed to come across (separately) seven of these cute creatures as I was driving across the Strzlecki trail, only one of which was kind enough to sit long enough for me to take a photo (albeit through the car windscreen!). Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting and favored shots you got there. It looks so big when standing although you said it is a wallaby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great wildlife shots. They look quite different to our wallabies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a cutie! What is the difference between a wallaby and a kangaroo?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots Stewart. it certanly has a huge strong tail

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't want to mess with that first one. It looks like it could really pack a punch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outstanding images ..I love these creatures.. :-))) ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Makes me think of the cartoons when I was a kid. Sylvester the cat thought it was an overgrown large mouse. Of course no one believed him and he always came out beaten and bruised after taking it on in a fight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can only imagine how excited I would be seeing these interesting animals on a drive by! It would be amazing to do a camping (RV) trip with lots of stops for hiking and exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, that was a dark one. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots..What is the difference between a Wallaby and a Kangaroo?? I seem to forget..Have a fun week...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I had to take a peek at your Wallaby shares too, they are so NEAT. We have a few at our local zoo, but just not the same as seeing them in the wild~

    ReplyDelete
  19. It definitely looks different than other wallabies. I didn't know there are several Species or subspecies (not sure what is the correct term).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh, wobblies — I didn't know they came in black. How wonderful.
    — Kay
    Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  21. More cool reasons to visit "Down Under!" I don't think I'll find one of those in Ohio...

    ReplyDelete