Wednesday 20 September 2017

Wild Bird Wednesday 269 - Great Crested Grebe

I'm almost at the end of the birds I photographed when I was in Europe, and it seems appropriate to feature a bird that I can see both on my travels to the UK and back home in Australia.

The Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) found across much of Europe and Asia. There are African and Australasian subspecies as well, and of course its the Australasian I see the most.  'Podiceps cristatus' means crested bum-foot (!) which refers to the crest on the birds head, but also how far back along the body the feet are found.  Its little scraps like this that keep me going you know!

I found the the birds in the pictures here at Ham Walls RSPB Reserve in Somerset.  Seeing Great Crested Grebes on an RSPB reserve is very appropriate, as it was the decline of this bird due to the hat trade that brought about the formation of the RSPB in 1889.

There seemed to be a great deal of both synchronised and unsynchronised preening going on with these birds - which are an adult and two well grown chicks.  The light was poor and the birds a little more distant that I would like - but a little bit of cropping works wonders!










As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the blue button below the thumbnails.   SM




24 comments:

  1. How lovely to come across the chicks and al great images Stewart. Many thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful and interesting bird I have not seen much of this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to see the chicks too. What cool markings they have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice images and interesting interactions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beauties with great colouring and interesting beaks. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Stewart! Your Great Crested Grebe is so pretty. Their young are cute too. Awesome series of photos.Thanks for hosting, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are spectacular looking birds! What a delight so see them in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the Great Crested Grebe when I was in Switzerland ... they are awesome birds and dive under water for fish. We have similar but different Grebes in the US which I mistakenly thought I was seeing when I was in Switzerland ... someone had to correct me :) Live and Learn. These are great shots, especially with the youngsters. Hope you are able to relax and enjoy your break this weekend ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great species. Every time I have ever seen it I have enjoyed it. It always amazes me the size of fish they can gulp down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos!
    Your Grebes are much prettier than the Grebes I have seen here in the USA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like all of Mother's creatures...marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice shots of the dancing Grebe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stewart, great captures of the Great Crested Grebe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great series, Stewart! We only have one species of Grebe here in Florida that breeds, the small Pied-billed Grebe.
    Love the rich colors of the Great Crested Grebe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these birds and these are some great shots. Well done Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stewart, these are such attractive birds!!! I never knew what a Grebe was until I was vacationing in Aruba, went to the bird "sanctuary" and saw this bird, which a man who appeared to be very knowledgeable, told me!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great captures, Stewart! The Grebe is such a neat bird! Hope you're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pictures of the Grebes in the reeds..Pretty shots..I have no birdies for you..Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bird behavior keeps me coming back for more. I can almost imagine the conversation taking place among your Grebes. Thanks for sharing and hosting, Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really wonderful photos, Stewart! I'm home again and it will take me a few days to get caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a great species, which we do not have in North America, unfortunately. I look forward to seeing it whenever I travel to areas where it occurs. I hope to encounter it in Europe shortly and in Australia next year. Lots to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful birds. Many of our early bird conservation efforts in the USA were also because of the hat trade. That includes Malheur Wildlife Refuge in south eastern Oregon (famous because of the 'occupiers' last winter - grrrr!).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw the Grebes last week, and ended up sleeping most of the week...part of what is going on in my life, lots of naps that I am not used to. I remembered seeing your Grebes which are some of my favorite birds...you did a great job in the beautiful captures that you got and shared. Well done~

    ReplyDelete