Wednesday 27 September 2017

Wild Bird Wednesday 270 - Alpine Chough

The pictures of birds from my time in Europe come to an end this week with the The Alpine Chough (also called the Yellow Billed Chough) - Pyrrhocorax graculus.

I saw these birds in Switzerland - where I spent a week walking and being blown away by the landscape.  On most days I was not in the mood to carry a long lens into the mountains, so I did not get many bird pictures.

I had really wanted to see this species, and I was not let down by them.  The birds on the 'road' sign were at Jungfraujoch, and the combination of very bright sunshine, lots of snow and even more tourists mad bird photography a wee bit of a challenge!

Anyway, here is the The Alpine Chough.  One fact I can't let slip past, is that this species may breed at a higher altitude than other bird.  It has been seen on Mount Everest at an altitude of 8,200 m (26,900 ft)!  Impressive I have to say.






As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the blue button below. SM 

21 comments:

  1. That is quite a hardy bird. Should we pronounce its name as in "though" or "cough" or "through" or "plough".... English is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, looks similar to a blackbird. It does have an interesting name or names. Great photos, thanks for hosting. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant bird to see. Bet the scenery up there was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    A wonderful 'shooting'! I'd give anything just to spot one of our local choughs, which in theory are plentiful round here... three years and counting! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Switzerland. It must have been a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like that bird posed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat looking blackbird. That yellow beak rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A rather mundane looking bird, but the elevations that it lives and breeds is extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was surprised how bright its wings look from above. What a sturdy bird to live and breed at that altitude. Amazing trip for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW they must certainly be very solid and strong birds to withstand the temperatures and properties of Mt Everest I should say. What a great time you must have had to visit Switzerland...my mother God rest her soul, her dream vacation was always going to be to visit Switzerland. It never happened, but when I think of that beautiful place, I think of her~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like crows here except for the beak. Sturdy looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you were able to see one and then sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! It is an amazing bird. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these shots but the in flight one is spectacular. Well done. Have a good week, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bird. I have seen this species in Ethiopia and if I am not mistaken in the Pyrenees in Spain. I am glad you had your camera with you that day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice shots of this bird and wow they really can fly high.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the in flight picture..Nice series..Hope you are having a good week..

    ReplyDelete
  18. That top photo is a stunner Stewart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful bird, Stewart! Lovely shots! I am a day late getting my bird posted. Was in Redmond all day yesterday because of hubby's Dr. apt and getting groceries, and I didn't get on here till this morning....

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a beautiful and hardy bird. Great photos of it Stewart.

    ReplyDelete