Wednesday 23 January 2019

Wild Bird Wednesday 339 - Wood Hen

Last week I was lucky enough to be back on Lord Howe Island.  LHI is about 800 km north-east of Sydney, and (in my opinion) is one of the most remarkable places I have ever seen.  Tiny, isolated, rich with wildlife and just flat out special.

If you even get a hint of a chance to visit, take it.

One of the special species on the island is the Wood Hen (Gallirallus sylvestris).  This species is endemic to LHI and was almost lost not that long ago when its population fell to very low levels, mostly due to being eaten - at first by settlers and then by the animals they brought with them.  Thankfully, the population has recovered somewhat thanks to a range of conservation efforts.

These pictures were taken as I was walking (very slowly) up Mt. Gower, the highest point on the island.  These birds were almost as interested in me as I was in them - which was a good job as I only had a 35mm lens!










As ever, to join in with WBW click on the blue button below the thumbnails.  

Feel free to spread the word about our little birding community in 2019. SM.


18 comments:

  1. That'a good one Stewart. Another one I've not heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Stewart. What a find and great shots. Thanks for hosting and have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! How fortunate you were to see them. They have a primitive look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kind of images to make us all green with envy, of course. Thank goodness it has recovered. Now if we could just do something about the plastic so deleteriously affecting the shearwaters breeding on Lord Howe Island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    A place very dear to my own heart, Stewart. I have many fond memories of LHI... and the woodhens! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stewart, fantastic find. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice views of these interesting birds. Good to hear that conservation efforts were successful. They seem to be a cross between chickens and rails! Need to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an unusual looking bird! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another bird which is new to me.
    Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice they are coming back. I would think they would be safe with their coloring. Interesting. I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bird that is new to me thanks for sharing. Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pictures of the wood hen. Reminds me of a snipe. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos of very pretty hens! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  14. What interesting looking creatures.

    ReplyDelete