Wednesday 9 January 2019

Wild Bird Wednesday 337 - Himantopus leucocephalus

You may have noticed a difference here this week - I normally use the common name of a bird in the title for a WBW post.  That works well when people have agreed what the common name is - this is not the case with Himantopus leucocephalus.  This bird has had a number of name changes in the last few years, and few of my books agree on what the common name is.

My most recent field guide says that Himantopus leucocephalus is also known as the White-headed Stilt, but it has also been called the Black-winged and Pied Stilt.  If the truth be told, some book even use a different scientific name.

Whatever it's called its a nice bird, although (once again) the harsh Australian mid-day sun made the pictures a bit of a challenge.

These pictures were all taken at Werribee Sewage Works, where a Tufted Duck appeared this week - and that's a first for Australia.  Needless to say, I am at work this week!










As ever, to join in with WBW click on the blue button below the thumbnails.  

Feel free to spread the word about our little birding community in 2019. SM.

21 comments:

  1. I think that several authorities consider them distinct species, Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images Stewart and I know wthis bird as the Black-winged Stilt. Thanks for hosting and have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that we can all agree that it is a stilt! That's quite a handle for that little bird. Pretty coloring. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    ..I'll just call it the bib and tucker bird!!! Very handsome. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very handsome bird by any name! Can't beat those sewage ponds for great birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This multiple-named bird is anyway very smart.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool!!! I hate when there are so many names!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has a good balancing act too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long sexy legs, great photos. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice photos of this long-legged beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How does it do that one leg balance so very well? I charming specimen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing these guys and the way they are often chatting on to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pied Stilt is much more reasonable...but spotted tit would work too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a handsome bird, Stewart. Interesting this week because for you I have a story regarding the Haliaeetus Leucochephalus...after all Thursday is "Save The Eagle" Day...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd call it an excellent series of shots! I would call those name changers "pied twits."

    ReplyDelete
  16. He's an elegant-looking stilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stewart, what ever name you choose, this is still a striking bird. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whatever the name, it’s a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this beautiful stilt under any name. I *cannot* believe I actually forgot to link last weeks post here, to my favorite meme. I remember what happened now, we were out for the day and I tried to use the phone to link, which didn’t work and then when we got home I thought I’d been here, (insert sad face)..I will be here tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete