Monday 13 May 2019

A Walk to the Woods

Wistman's Wood in Devon, in the southwest of the UK is one of the highest Oak woodlands in Britain - the oaks are small and twisted and the ground below them is strewn with moss covered boulders.  It is without question a rather magical place.

I visited the wood on a bright, early winter afternoon and it was really rather wonderful.  One day I'll get to go there in the spring I hope!

I also took some images of classic Dartmoor landscapes on the way to the woods.  This area may not be the most famous part of the UK - everyone going into raptures about the Cotswolds and similar places - but if you get the chance to visit, take it. (I admit I am biased - I was born a couple of hours up the road!)












You can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.


18 comments:

  1. I have been to Devon but not to this actual spot. It looks lovely, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look quite fabulous, Stewart, and it it is a little less crowded than the Cotswolds that is in its favour. And of course, soon there will be that new tourist attraction, Monckton House. I am sure they are affixing the plaque as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Stewart. It does look like a great place to see and walk around in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely place

    Love those gnarly trees

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari om
    West country mystique! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful part of the country Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trees are interesting shapes. Beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wild and wonderful! I had to visit Wiki to verify what I thought ....Dartmoor was where Hound of the Baskervilles was set. Eerie terrain and tree shapes...can imagine it in the dark... and can see why The setting was chosen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice. One day I hope to get to spend some time in the UK. There are so many things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love the stone walls, thanks for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always amazed by stone walls. Imagine the patience it took to fit the stones together so that the wall stands without mortar, hundreds of years later! Your photos capture a beautiful countryside.
    My post features a visit to Seattle's Volunteer Park Conservatory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First pictures looks like where they do a weekly show. What we watch. In England. With three men who are in there 80s. Basically they wonder about down near the stone walls.
    Having a senior moment as the tile of the show. Like Wine.

    When they go in to town. There is an old lady who has a thrift shop.

    Then there is the ladies who sit in the t.v program who have tea together.

    A older lady who wears these old fashion stockings and get teased.
    Anyhow. I love those walls too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the walls made from the boulders..Big job..The trees look gnarly..Pretty scenery..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice landscape ! it's peace and quiet, you had a nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a very charming place, to me.

    ReplyDelete