Tuesday 5 May 2020

Wild Bird Wednesday 406 - Torresian Imperial Pigeon

The tides of taxonomy have once more been flowing over this species.  As far as I can tell these birds are now called Torresian Imperial Pigeons (Ducula spilorrhoa), although many (slightly) older sources seen to call them Pied Imperial Pigeons (D. bicolor).

I certainly called them Pied Imperial Pigeons when I saw these birds feeding in the date palms that stud the parks of Darwin.

Whatever their name, they are a good looking bird.  They are not a rare bird, and in some places their population is growing rapidly.  This growth may be in part due to the fact that in some places they were hunted heavily in the past, and their numbers are recovering rather than 'expanding'.

One source I read suggest these were the first Australian birds to be recorded by European. They were mentioned in the offical account of a voyage by Spanish ships in 1606.







As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the link below - and also as ever, please feel free to share WBW with other bloggers.

Stay safe, and stay home.  SM


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

19 comments:

  1. Hi Stewart, Interesting bird and one I certainly do not know. All is well here and some restrictions being lifted on the 11th, we will certainly self isolate for some weeks yet until all is well. We are both in the wrong age bracket and have underlying health problems. Take care and keep safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    It is most attractive - I am interested that they appear to be enjoying the palm nuts. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imperial pigeons of any kind are spectacular birds - regardless of their name. I feel quite confident that they know who they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures of this beautiful pigeon... Regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful birds! The pigeons commonly seen in U.S. cities are generally darker overall. Things are well here. As well as can be. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A handsome bird indeed. We lived i Darwin in the sixties but i cannot remember seeing them. But the birds weren't my thing way back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, they are very very beautiful birds, I love birds, can you see my blog?, I hope you like it, follow me, the name is bicheandoporelmonte.blogspot.com I hope you like it, I love your blog, so I´m going to follow you, a greeting from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Imperial, yes, they're so beautiful. stuning pictures, Stewart.
    Here the government is planning a deconfinement soon but the virus is still here. In France there are nearly 30,000 deaths.
    Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid shots of handsome birds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I visited Cairns they called them Pied Imperial Pigeons. A lovely bird. Loved the video of Hector being a dog! Thanks for hosting and stay safe during this week

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look large. The date palms look fascinating too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite a striking contrast between the black and the white. I just learned that "pied" was derived from the word "Magpie." Well it is sometimes difficult to keep up with the name changes. In a few cases it helps to just keep remembering the old name as it may come back. In the US we had Baltimore, then Northern, now back to Baltimore Oriole; Wilson's, then Common, now again Wilson's Snipe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful birds! I love your fourth photo...the bird with wings spread...beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very handsome birds!
    A few restrictions are being eased here, still very cautious.
    Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are really beautiful birds!!! Things are easing here and most people are being safe. Then there's a few that are stupid. LOL! Have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the one with the wings spread out!
    Hope you are well. We are coping, although I have trouble going to sleep which is unusual for me. And trouble getting up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Stewart, imagine the first to be recorded by Europeans. How interesting and such beauties too. I wonder what that berry like fruit they are feeding on is.

    ReplyDelete