Wednesday 7 April 2021

Wild Bird Wednesday 454 - White-headed Stilt

This is another bird that has undergone a number of taxonomical revisions, but at present I think its called the White-headed Stilt (Himantopus leucocephalus) which separates into into a full species away from a number of other similar birds.

These birds were feeding in the area of Werribee Treatment Plant where the treated water is released into the bay.  Due to somewhat elevated nutrient levels in the water this area can be a bit of a hot spot, there were a number of other waders (too distant to identify with much confidence) and a couple of a very small terms (Fairy/ Little?) feeding in the area as well.











The birds with the pale heads are younger birds.  This species really does have remarkably long legs!

As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the button below.  SM


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

19 comments:

  1. I love these types of shore birds. These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Even as stilt birds go, those are some stilts!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Such long legs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing that they do not end up with broken legs they are so long and spindly!!! Fabulous photos. Keep well, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great set of images Stewart and it was lovely to see younger ones as well as adult birds. Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well-named bird. Coincidentally this morning i had a flock of six Black-necked Stilts fly directly overhead from behind me with their ridiculously long legs trailing out behind them. They disappeared behind some trees before I could focus on them. BTW, earlier this spring I had one with a broken or malformed leg hanging straight down as it flew up. It had been standing very still in the shallow water. I wonder how it ambulated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stilts are amazing to watch, especially their elegant walk. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely true to its name. What stilts it has for legs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stilt is a great name for these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Stewart,:=) Such an elegant stance, 9th picture from top. Lovely birds, and captures. Swewart, I'm having difficulty linking up, please could you link up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have promised myself I WILL GET TO SEE SHORELINE BIRDS THIS YEAR, Stewart until then, I'll admire yours...jp

    ReplyDelete
  12. Living proof that good-looking legs come in all sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Stewart for linking up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Long legs for sure..They look so fragile..I guess that's where the name "stilt" came from? Wonderful pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your picture of the White-headed Stilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi Stewart, beautiful photos. We have them sometimes in our area. Have a nice weekend. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete