Tuesday 20 July 2021

Wild Bird Wednesday 469 - Pied Currawong

The Pied Currawong (Strepera graculina) is a large and vocal member of my local bird community.  They are not always popular as they do feed (at least in part) on the nestlings of other birds.  Given that they are closely related to Butcherbirds and Australian Magpies this is hardly a surprise.

What I most like about these pictures is that it give me the change to write : 'these are Currawongs in a Persimmon Tree' - which is the kind of sentence I would not have been expecting to write (or even understand) when I was growing up in Somerset!

These images are a little different to my normal ones, so I hope you like them.




We are back in lockdown here - and I am not happy with that situation. But, there you go.  

As ever, to join in with WBW click on the link below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

  1. The situation is still serious in Europe too.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah humbug to lockdown! it is becoming normal to have another period of confinement every few months! I shall look forward to to a ditty composed around "And a currawong in a persimmon tree"; there may be existing songs to guide you with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read the word Currawongs I had the same thought as you but about reading such a sentence. The persimmons alone are pretty special! I grew up in Newfoundland and didn’t know what a persimmon was until I was well into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Oh, the song of the Currawong
    is one for which I long
    and their gambolling
    on the fenceline free
    or their antics
    high in the tree
    Oh my heart it thumps to hear it
    oh yes, and then to see
    the song of the carrawong
    taking fruit of a persimmon tree.

    'han'you, 'hanyouverramuch...
    &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures look like fall and Halloween..Can't wait..Sorry you are back in lockdown..We probably should be..I think I see it in our future..Stay safe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you are3 in lockdown AGAIN! These shots arse brilliant and t o see so many bi rds in the trees is wonderful. Thanks for hosting, stay very safe and have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sentence does sound like a children's book. Or song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed! I read the above comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They certainly have formidable beaks. So many persimmons! We may be facing a return of restrictions as Florida has become one of the COVID hotspots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stay safe Stewart. We're All in This together

    ReplyDelete
  11. More restrictions need to be in place here but they won't be. Meanwhile we all just have to do the best we can to stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that name "Currawongs."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Currawongs, persimmon...lovely words and lovely photos! Looks autumnal to me which I love.

    ReplyDelete