Wednesday 9 February 2022

Wild Bird Wednesday 498 - Crested Bellbird

The Crested Bellbird (Oreoica gutturalis) is a bird of (mainly) the dry inland parts of Australia - although it can be found all the way to the coast in Western Australia.

The guide books mention that the bird is normally heard before it is seen, and that was my experience when I found this pair of birds in the Mallee recently.  The call sounds like this.

I was also told they have a bit of a reputation for being shy - especially the males - so I was surprised that the pictures I managed to get were of a male, and that it was close (sort of) to my car.   You can see a hint of the crest in these pictures, but it's not very clear.

Anyway, given this birds reputation for being easier to hear than see, I was happy with the pictures.






In two weeks it will be 500 weeks since I started Wild Bird Wednesday - which feels pretty crazy I have to say.  I plan to do a 'special request' post for that week - so, if there are any birds you would like me to feature mention it in the comments over the next couple of posts, and I will see what I can do!  I have already received a request for some Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos - but further requests happily received. 

As ever, to join in WBW click the link below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    What a different sound from the Bell Miners (Manorina melanophrys)! Every bit as deightful and more varied. Hoorah for this spot and capture!

    Requests? For my aching heart it would have to be Aussie Maggie (and it's chatter)!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stewart,:=) Once heard it would be difficult to forget it's very distinctive call. It's lovely! I often hear a bird before I see it. The crest lies down on the bird in the video, that's why it's difficult to see in your captures- It's a delightful little bird, well done for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is very well camouflaged in your pictures.I can see why they would be hard to see,,, Good pictures..
    As for requests..there are so many choices..hard to pick one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fortunate you were to see this bird. It has a beautiful voice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well found and captured on camera Stewart. Requests? Cassowary if possible with chicks or any the the Fairy Wrens preferably males. Now that is a challenge. Thanks for hosting, have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful and unusual calls. You captured nice images despite its reclusive nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A pretty bird and great photos. Sorry not keeping up so well though I have photos taken!
    Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice looking bird and I admire your header. His call is pretty!

    ReplyDelete