Tuesday 14 June 2022

Wild Bird Wednesday 516 - Australian Magpie

The Australian Magpie (Gymnorhina tibicen) may well be the most widely recognised bird in Australia.  Although there are regional variations in the amount of black and white shown by this bird, they are all considered one species.  Whatever the biological truth of the matter they are fascinating birds, and one that I see on a daily basis.

These birds are little way away from my usual haunts: these birds are feeding around a garden sprinkler in The Mallee region of NW Victoria.  It was a hot day, and I think that they were enjoying the 'rain' as well as the worms that the water was bringing to the surface.  These birds did seem to have the rare ability to only catch and eat the worms when they were stood behind an obstacle of some kind!!









As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the big blue button.  Life continues to be strange for me, and I cant tell you how much I appreciate your comments and links.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh how I miss the morning caroling of the Maggies... I recall learning some years (-decades 8¬0) ago that Currawongs have varying calls according to location, much as humans have dialects/languages... I wonder if a similar study has been done on the Magpie? Their songs are very fine, wherever and whenver! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I have not been visiting, so much going on here and I am way behind. July I hope will be better!

    Lovely post and an interesting bird. We have the Eurasian magpie here and they really are a pain. They not only steal eggs for the nests, they are quite happy to commit murder where the little birds are concerned.

    I hope all is well. We have our nephew from Melbourne visiting next week so another busy time ahead of us. Take care and keep safe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clever birds have their niche figured out! I’d love to hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific sequence of photographs, Stewart!

    Too many of us tend to pass up "common" birds and that is a mistake, in my opinion. Thank you for sharing your Magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They certainty know how to keep cool, as well as benefit from the worms which are trying to escape drowning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous magpies! And I like your comments on their behavior. Wishing you a great week. Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not that keen on the numerous magpies we see here as they have become a nuisance but you have captured them in more appealing behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering what those droplets were..I thought that the Magpie was not the most desirable bird..Glad they were enjoying the sprinkler..Good pics Stewart..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat looking bird! I’m glad it caught a worm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always fascinating that what's common in one area, is unknown in another. I've never seen a magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cudowne zdjęcia! To bardzo inteligentne ptaki i z radością lubię je obserwować (u nas nieco inaczej wyglądają). A młode są takie zabawne!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I like magpies. I'm already used to the noise and their arguments. I noticed they were hunting hornets in my garden.

    ReplyDelete