Tuesday 7 March 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 554 - White-fronted Chat

The White-fronted Chat (Epthianura albifrons) is a common bird across the southern edge of Australia - yet it has taken me a while to get pictures of this species I am happy with.

It will come as no surprise that I took these pictures at Werribee Sewage Works - and its a legitimate question to ask if I bird anywhere else these days!  (The response may actually be 'no')

Anyway, this bird can often be rather conspicuous as it perches on the tops of bushes.  But I have also found it rather timid, in that it flys off to another bush if you stop and look at it!  So, with a combination of a long lens and lots of megapixels, I managed to get these pictures.

This is the male of the species, the female was less cooperative.








I'm just back from six days of wilderness in Tasmania - so hope to catch up on comments soon.

As ever, to join in, click the button below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Thank goodness for those megapixels, eh?! These are delightful shots, Stewart, as we have come to expect from you. My birdning has been so lacking of late... but I did manage an Oyster Catcher and a Robin a few weeks back. I would not presume to place them on your linky, but if anyone is interested, they can click through here. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are a couple of white terns, Stewart. As well as a couple of thwarted ducks. You did a nice job finally capturing those photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very striking plumage. Oh, the joy of sewage treatment plants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some awesome shots of the pretty male. Hope the female cooperates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos of this bird. We only see them in the summer. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the chat,
    With its little black hat.
    It has reason to gloat
    with its gray and black coat. ;-)

    ReplyDelete