Wednesday 8 November 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 589 - Baillon's Crake

The (Porzana pusilla) gains its common name from Lousi Baillon, a French naturalist who collect some of the earliest (but not the earliest!) examples of this species.  It's scientific name means 'insignificant little crake', which is a reasonable assessment of its size!

The Baillons's Crake is actually only just bigger than a house sparrow, and tends to be found in dense freshwater vegetation.  However, on the morning I took these pictures it seems it was a 'crakes day out' as there were five, and maybe six, of these birds visible at one time!  They seemed to be largely unconcerned by the presence of three birders, all of which were wielding long lenses.

It will come as no surprise for people to learn that these birds were seen at Werribee Sewage works.










As ever, to join in with WBW just click on the link below. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

  1. Pretty markings and the red eye and coloured beak add to its beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stewart. That is a striking bird! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handsome bird..the red eye !! Love the reflection in the water..Hope all is well with you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tiny handsome little rail from a very large family of species. Another nice find at a water treatment facility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    What a delight to spot! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The red eye really stands out. Had you not mentioned the size I would have thought it much larger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How brilliant to have got so many photographs of this elusive bird. By the way I have got my 12 month Australian visa and am arriving in Oz on 29 November. it has been a very long long up hill journey since I started the process in March and selling my home here and everything in it and ws plagued with health issues however got there in the end. Aussies look out!!! Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s an enigmatic little bird, difficult to observe I am sure. Hooray for Werribee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stewart - thanks for stopping by my blog. It's been awhile. (As it has for me commenting on yours.) Regarding the first photo that you didn't know what it was - it's a ceiling of one of the rooms in the Nasrid Palace in Alhambra.
    I see from Margaret's comment she's on her way to Australia finally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos I love that distinctive red eye. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely rich browns and great reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Stewart :=)
    The Baillon's Crake is an attractive little bird with it's grey and rust coloured markings and distinctive red eye.

    ps I wish I could hear some of those horse jokes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully photographed this beautiful bird.
    Greetings Tinie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jak ten ptak piękny! I zdjęcia bardzo dobre!

    ReplyDelete