Wednesday 17 January 2024

Wild Bird Wednesday 599 - Glossy Ibis

The Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) is the least abundant of the three species of Ibis we have in Victoria.  It's always I good species to find - and one that I don't see all that often.

I knew, but had forgotten (!), that two had been seen at Werribee in recent weeks and when I happened upon then I was rather pleased.  

These have to have been two of the busiest bird I have ever watched, they were feeding ceaselessly for the 20 minutes I watched them.  I really was a case of head down and feed.  They also had a remarkable knack of hiding behind small plants!

I think that these pictures do show the glossy nature of their plumage - although it took a large number of pictures to catch the iridedsence of their plumage.





As ever, to join in with WBW click on the big blue button.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful birds!
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been hearing the horse-like call of the eastern screech owl here in Costa Rica. I'd love to see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are four species of screech owl in Costa Rica, Eastern Screech Owl not being one of them. You may be hearing Pacific Screech Owl, Tropical Screech Owl, Costa Rican (Vermiculated) Screech Owl, or Bare-legged Screech Owl. Location and habitat should enable you to narrow down the species.

      Delete
  3. The ibis has a unique sophisticated colour code.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite an elegant bird Stewart Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos of these birds. Patience paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    There's a sort of nobility about them... image three, here, is gorgeous! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a gazillion of the white ones, I didn't realise they came in different colours. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you persevered Stewart. Well done and thank you. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting birds. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting birds and great photos, well done. Happy and healthy 2024, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hanging in there Stewart..wonderful pictures

    ReplyDelete