Wednesday 21 February 2024

Wild Bird Wednesday 604 - Snettisham

Stettisham is a small town on the on the east coast of The Wash in the UK. There is an RSPB reserve there that gives 'views across brackish lagoons, salt marsh and a vast expanse of mudflats'.  It's basically wader heaven.

I was lucky enough to be there on two days when very high tides coincided with the sunrise.  This means that huge flock of Red Knot are pushed off their muddy feeding grounds by the rising tide.  

This does two things - firstly it makes the Knot (and other waders) fly around in huge groups over the mud.  I'm not 100% sure this is technically a murmuration as I think that term may only apply to Starlings - but I sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.  Anyway, the visual impact in the same - huge groups of birds in the air at once: twisting and turning - and in the case of the Knot, the whole flock flashing pale white as their underwings show.  And the sound they make as they fly over your head - utterly remarkable.

The second thing that happens is that once the birds have been pushed off the mud they roost in there 10's of thousands on a single bank - but those pictures are for another day,










Of course, being out at dawn presents other photographic opportunities as well.





As you will have gathered, I'm in the UK at present.  If anybody wants to see other pictures from this continuing trip you can find me on FaceBook.  

As ever, to join in with WBW clink on the link below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. So many wonderful birds in the sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Oh my word... Snettisham is a fantastic place and these shots are amazing! Welcome back to the UK, Stewart... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic views of bird's migration....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utterly amazing. Nature astounds yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an experience. We were stiting at a lake the other night, and several small groups of teal flew over us before landing. They sounded like a jet plane or drones. I can only imagine how that enormous group of birds sounded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my word. I cannot even imagine that many red knots! I would be in heaven. We see them in small numbers or singly where I've seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lot of birds. I don't know how they can find enough room to fly. I can only imagine the noise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful sight to see these birds together in the air. I saw a flock like this of Knot once in N.Ireland and also they landed. Was able to creep quite close to them without disturbing them. Thanks for hosting and commenting. . Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive crowds of birds! The sky shots are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. Have nice days in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No dosłownie bajka! Tak blisko przyjechałeś! :-)

    ReplyDelete