Wednesday 17 April 2024

Wild Bird Wednesday 612 - Welcome Swallow

The Welcome Swallow (Hirundo neoxena) is the common swallow in Australia.  (There are records of Barn Swallow - but they are few and far between and cause a great deal of excitement in birding circles).

These are young birds.  I assume that they are still being fed as they got very excited when another (adult?) bird flew near them.  Unfortunately this other bird was rather more cautious than the younger birds, and never really flew into picture.

However, I think you can see that the young birds got rather excited at the prospect of food.  I recall a similar look on the faces of my kids, and still see at tea time with my cats!

The Welcome Swallow is one of a limited number of Australian bird species that are doing well at present, and their population size is increasing.











As ever, to join in with WBW click on the link below.  SM


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Heart felt photos, Stewart. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Are you sure they aren't "Gannets"...! 😁 That's what mum always called us when we were in the kitchen wailing hunger... Fab sequence of action shots, Stewart. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love swallows. These are beauties. Glad they are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're talking! Yelling, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Stewart :=)
    It's good to know these beautiful swallows are doing well. Thanks for explaining what was happening. I thought they were being quarrelsome. Stewart I cant post a picture on your blog, I have tried but on the second try it says I can't post the same one twice could you please help me. Thanking you in advance.:=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just seen it appear, so no need for help. I guess it was just a matter of time before it appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look so nice...... excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos of beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome news about the adorable Welcome Swallow !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty swallows! Our swallows have that same electric blue color but ours don't have the orange-gold faces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos Stewart, I am also waiting for the swallows here. Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete