Wednesday 4 September 2024

Wild Bird Wednesday 632 - Red-Winged Blackbird

The Red-Winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) is an abundant bird across much of North and Central America. Across its whole range its total population may be as many 250 million in peak years. I saw this bird in Ontario, Canada, at the end of 2023.

As you can see from the pictures, this bird is feeding on seeds and 'bird food' placed on the fence next to a boardwalk.  The boardwalk passes through an area of wetlands which is a classic habitat for this species.

The male Red-Winged Blackbird is about 23 cm in length, while the female are smaller, at 17 or 18 cm in length. 










A small, but not unimportant part of my enjoyment at seeing these birds is that they feature in the opening paragraphs of one of my favourite books.

'There’s a red-winged blackbird.
I whack Chris’s knee and point to it.
"What!" he hollers.
"Blackbird!"
He says something I don’t hear."What?" I holler back.
He grabs the back of my helmet and hollers up, "I’ve seen lots of those, Dad!"
"Oh!" I holler back. Then I nod. At age eleven you don’t get very impressed with red-winged blackbirds.'

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig, 1974. 

As ever, to join in with WBW, just click on the link below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    They may be ubiquitious, but so asre many other birds and they are none the less enjoyable to observe, each in their individual ways! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black bird seems to survive and adapt well in our modern world

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those birds. They will be leaving our area this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful book! I just told my teen nephew to read it. What a melodious bird the Red Wing black bird is. Thank you for this lovely post to linger over

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are starting to gather in huge numbers now in preparation for migration and to see them descend en masse into the marshes is quite a sight. We see it every fall but it never fails to impress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing them when I was in Australia many years ago. Our young blackbirds here are driving me mad. I have had to put netting over the green house door as they keep digging everything in there out!!
    Hope all is well, Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have red winged black birds here but I rarely see them and have probably never photographed one... Great pictures Stewart!! I have no birdies to share this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the Black winged Blackbird has a lovely song as the UK Blackbird Stewart? Thanks for hosting and commenting. Have a wonderful week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stewart!! Beautiful bird... Nice shots... Regards

    ReplyDelete