One of the duck species that I saw was the Garganey (Spatula querquedula). This is not an easy bird to see in either the UK or Australia so I was pleased to bump into some at the Bharatpur bird sanctuary - or the Keoladeo National Park as it is now formally known - in the state of Rajasthan.
This species was once considered to be very closely related to the familiar Mallard - but (and this is a recouping theme in this blog), more detailed study has revealed that this is not the case, and the species was reclassified into a genus that contains species such as the Northern Shoveler (Spatula clypeata).
Garganey are reasonably small ducks - smaller than Mallard - and the males have a very distinctive white stripe behind the eye.The females of this species lack this clear feature, but still have a clear head pattern. The Garganey is a widespread and common winter visitor to India.
As ever, to join in with WBW click on the blue link below. Cheers SM







Wonderful photos of the Garganey, Stewart!
ReplyDeleteDeine Bilder und intensiven Beschreibungen der Enten interessieren mich sehr. Die Bilder sind wirklich sehr gut.
ReplyDelete. Water birds feel especially admirable. I so look forward to our get together every week!
ReplyDeleteMy entire experience with Garganey is of one female in Ethiopia. Hardly satisfactory!
ReplyDeleteA lovely duck Stewart I have seen it in N.Ireland but not here Fabulous photos. Thanks fof hosting and commenting. Have a good week ahead
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful pics
ReplyDeleteDear Stewart, these are certainly very pretty ducks – the pattern of the male Garganeys looks like a lovely patchwork quilt to me! I don't remember seeing them back then (2010) in Rajasthan (however, we weren't there for birdwatching...)
ReplyDeleteAll the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
Hari OM
ReplyDeleteSuch handsome ducks... and you managed some very handsome shots of them! YAM xx
Beautul ducks. Sometimes we see the same here in the Netherlands. Have a nice day !
ReplyDeleteReally great photos. I have also seen this bird myself, but I have never gotten such great photos.
ReplyDeletelove the last photo..... beautiful.
ReplyDelete