I've just come back from a trip to walk the Jatbula Trail in the Northern Territory. I had a single day (well, long morning really) around Darwin prior to the walk and was able to see a number of northern species, that I don't generally see in Victoria. When I retired late in 2022 I decided to 'blank' my bird list and start again, as retirement felt (and still feels) like the start of a new life! So over 30 'new' birds were added to my list that morning!
The Rainbow Bee-Eater is Australia's only Bee-eater, so with its distinctive behaviour, shape and colour it is pretty easy to identify. I think the most distinctive thing about this species - at least when seen at a distance - is its nearly triangular wing shape. I can't help but think it looks a bit like a paper plane, although such descriptions never make it into the bird guides.
The Rainbow Bee-Eater has a wing span of about 100mm, and despite its name generally shows as being green in colour. It has a distinct eye stripe, and adults have a clear black band on the 'neck' called a gorget.
As their name suggests, they feed mainly on insects which they catch on the wing. None of the birds I saw on this trip was polite enough to catch any insects when they were in camera range, but this one did sit nicely on some sticks!
It always surprises me that these birds nest in holes in the ground rather than in trees.
Wonderful birds.
As ever, to join in with WBW click on the blue link below. Cheers SM







Lovely!
ReplyDelete