Monday 30 April 2012

Our World Tuesday - Remarkable Rocks


They really did have their “let’s give these places sensible names” hat on when these remarkable rocks were named.  They are called Remarkable Rocks.  If only everything was as straight forward as this!

They are on the western end of Kangaroo Island and are one of the islands most well known attractions.  These rocks have been blasted by wind, rain, salt and summer heat for 500 million years.  That’s a long time by anybodies standards.  Now busloads of tourists (and me) add the erosion of feet to the process.


I’d love to be there when I did not have to dodge and weave around the crowds, and I’m sure the crowds thought the same about me.

What is not apparent in these pictures is just how windy it was.  A significant storm system was moving up the coast and this was one of the more exposed sections.  At times it was hard to stand up, let alone think about composition or exposure. (Well I was thinking about exposure – but of the hypothermia type!)

You can find more pictures from around the world at Our World Tuesday.
You can find the latest post to my other blog by clicking on the Paying Ready Attention image on the RHS of the screen.
Enjoy the pictures.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, these are fascinating rock formations Stewart. I love your shots of them, it makes me want to still get to Kangaroo Island but I'll have to see how the travel plans go first. Thanks for sharing these, now I can at least say I've seen some of Kangaroo Island! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are gorgeous. and cool. and live up to their name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do indeed live up to their name!! Terrific captures, Stewart! What an amazing and beautiful place! Somehow I can almost feel the storm in the air! Superb! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are definitely remarkable! And such good pictures of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sure have the right name!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're remarkable.
    Great shots of the cool rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, what a luxury it would be to wonder about these rocks unaccompanied, perhaps sit in the fold of one of them and take in the energy. I especially loved your third photograph. Fascinating place and post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rocks, especially the wonderfully baroque ones you have shared here, Stewart. I still haven;t visited Kangaroo Island, but it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are very cool rocks. Definitely remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had to laugh about your comment on "exposure". Wonderful photos, and perfectly exposed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The works of nature can be remarkably captivating. Great shots! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's remarkable---looks pristine and clear rocks. Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete