Thursday 7 February 2013

Sky Watch Friday - From below

It's not really much of a shock to realise that we take most of our pictures of the sky from within it - or at least from the very bottom of it.  Shots from planes (the flying type) and very high mountains are exceptions - but I dont seem to get window seats and I can't climb Everest!

This though occurred to me a few weeks ago, so I tried to take some images of the sky from within the ocean.  That is I deliberately angled the camera upwards to try to photograph the sky through the surface of the water.

As you can see this was not entirely successful.  I think most of the colour you can see is light being refracted back into the water from the plants and such like below - I think the boundary between the water and the air is acting like a mirror.

Anyway - I tried and I like this abstract image.


You can find more pictures - include ones that actually show the sky - at SkyWatch Friday.

Enjoy the pictures.

22 comments:

  1. that was a very innovative photographic shot Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting perspective. Without knowing that it was the sky, you wouldn't recognize it as such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing creativity! Thanks for the explanation otherwise I would be scratching my head as to what I am looking at! Its beautiful nevertheless. Have a great week ahead Stewart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the colours in this picture but like previous comment glad you explained it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fun to play with our cameras, isn't it, Stewart!! Colorful, fun capture for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How artistic and very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colours! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stewart!Fantastic picture!I like the colors!Great work!Have a lovely day!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Experimenting is part of the fun in photography. I think you did great. I love what came out of your attempt at doing something different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fun to try different things. The colors in the photo are very pretty. Have a great weekend. Mickie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool image, looks like a colorful abstract! Happy Skywatching and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, Stewart, very creative. I've seen some great examples of this... here's a guy I follow on Flickr that takes great water shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnbarbs/8306840748/in/photostream/

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it Stewart! The colours are marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting concept, and very unique results. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever!
    When people have asked me photography advice in the past, I've often told them two things:
    1) Take LOTS of pictures. Have a camera with you as much as possible.
    And 2) Try to see your subject from as many angles as possible.
    This is certainly a new angle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful! I would have never thought to do this! We do have an underwater camera, but its' been years since my hubby was scubadiving, and almost as long since we've been swimming! Love your approach!

    I'll have to find some old albatross pictures from when we were kids on Midway and post those one week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful Stewart... the colors and light are so rich and deep... here the world is quite grey and, well snowy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great sky-post. A very creative composition. Well done!

    ReplyDelete