Friday 24 February 2017

Some Indian Mammals

Much as it may seem like I spend all my time watching birds, that's not actually the case.  I don't mind watching a mammal or two if they show up.

The first mammals I saw in India were Palm Squirrels - and I think these are Five-Striped Palm Squirrels.  To be honest these little rodents are pretty common, and the chirping of 'squirrel stress' followed us almost everywhere.  They are undoubtably rather good value!






I do like the shot of the Palm Squirrel in the window - but I do wish it had put its tail on show!

The next mammal was a real surprise - it's a Small Indian Mongoose (well, probably!).  This fast moving animal was hunting around the footings of a temple complex in the Lodi Gardens in Delhi.  I was in tourist, rather than naturalist mode, photographically so I only managed a rather distant shot - the version below is a heavy crop.  I rather like that face!


The Nilgai or Blue Bull is largest Asian Antelope and is endemic to the Indian subcontinent.  I saw this male - and some females that I could not photograph - in the Sultanpur National Park.  In the pictures below you can see some Painted Storks in the trees and a Pintail in the water as well as the Blue Bull.




 I'll be linking this post to Saturday Critters - where you can find more animals from around the world.

13 comments:

  1. Hello, I agree the squirrels look like our chipmunks. Cute critters. Enjoy your day and the weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stewart. I reckon that Mongoose is wondering where the head of that green snake is!!

    Wonderful post,bit the squirrels really do it for me!

    Best wishes from an incredibly windy UK (100 km/h today!) - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought maybe you'd lost it thinking the hose was a snake!!! Cute little mongoose! And the squirrels are very much like our Chipmunks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those squirrels are definitely cute critters. Mongoose and no cobra?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute little squirrels, and the Antelope is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all new to me! Really nice photos Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about the squirrels and I've never met a mongoose so this was a good post to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Stewart, I just wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Great critters. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mongoose looks like something I'd rather not be surprised by (kinda like a mouse or a rat... it looks skittery ... I'm not afraid if I get plenty of warning).

    ReplyDelete