Monday 10 June 2013

A view from the hill

This weekend is the official start of the snow season in Australia - and as you can see the weather was typically appalling.  Monday is also a public holiday - in honour of the Queens Birthday no less.  So we headed off to Flinders on the Mornington Peninsular.  This is a local area we have not explored much, we have tended to spend more time on the other side of the bay.

The weather was great, we saw whales on two different occasions - they we rather  along way of shore and we also saw albatross.  For some reason the general public seemed more interested in the whales than the albatross!  Although I did try to point them out to a few people.

Flinders =

The wide-angle image is of the pier at Flinders and the whale and albatross are the best I could manage given that these wonderful animals were a long way away!

Southern Right Whale (?)

Shy Albatross (?)
 You can find more images from around the world at Our World Tuesday.

Enjoy the pictures.

21 comments:

  1. I'd like to see either. Summer jus!t started here, it has been in the triple didgits for a week

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Stewart Lovely to see whale adn Albatross at sea. I once did a Pelagic trip from Woolingong and they brought Albatrosses on board to ring them etc. wonderful experience.MArgaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wide angle shot is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots Stewart.
    Great to see the tail of the whale.
    Regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish our winters - or even our summers - were like this. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOW...now that's a view I could look at all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wide angle looks like a postcard ... beautiful. Should use it on your Christmas cards.

    I am so envious that you saw whales. Do you know what kind they were? I once went on a boat tour to see the Orca in Washington, but there were none to be seen. Then in the paper the next day they had pictures of them. It seems we didn't see them because they were in the Bay right where we were staying ... Argh! And the Albatross are wonderful and endangered at this point. They are being killed by the garbage (plastics mostly) that we wonderful humans dump in our oceans. I would have shared your awe over them, had I been there. Great post, Stewart.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whales and albatrosses...could winter be any more cruel ;>)...(that top picture looks like the kind of winter I want to have always...no snow for me thank you very much.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb captures for the day, Stewart!! Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to see an albatross.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful shots Stewart!!I have'nt see Whales in our area!!Lucky you!!!
    Have a lovely week!!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like an awesome time, Stewart! Whale watching and birding, both would make me happy. Great sighting and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice captures, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so much blue! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been on whale watching excursions off of Hawaii, and watched & watched along our northwest / Pacific Coast during prime migrating season.. but I've never seen a whale!
    The albatross is cool, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. yep - looks like the snow season!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great view!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice! I remember the first time an albatross flew close to me. I was amazing at how huge the wing span was. I don't think he moved a wing for at least a minute or so.

    ReplyDelete