Wednesday 19 June 2019

Wild Bird Wednesday 361 - A Passing Gannet

The Australian Gannet (Morus serrator) is a pretty conspicuous bird when you are out, or around, Port Phillip.  (I learnt today that its called Port Phillip, not Port Phillip Bay - which makes no sense to me, but I must keep the pedants at bay!!)

This bird passed us on the dolphin trip, so I just had to take some pictures.








Although it does not really show it in the pictures, this bird was flying pretty fast.

I am about to be very busy for 10 days, so please be patient with me in regard to replies - and I will probably have to schedule the WBW for next week tonight as well!

As ever, you can join in with WBW by clicking on the link below - and also as ever, please feel free to share the love for WBW with other bloggers!  Cheers. SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

16 comments:

  1. Very distinctive profile and plumage. Quite similar to our Northern Gannet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pretty bird as well I love the head colouring. Don't work too hard!!! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! It's beautiful! Yes, these birds fly fast!!!!!
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these birds. Hope your "busy" is a fun busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots. I saw Gannets diving yesterday when I was on a ferry to Scotland. Yes I think the UK Heron is the same as the S.A one Stewart. Thanks for hosting and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always nice to get to know new birds for me...
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great flight shots, Stewart, of a bird we came to know well. Perhaps Miriam will see its European cousin during her visit to Iceland. Yesterday she saw Puffins. If ever she and I get to Iceland together, there will be a lot more focus on birds and other wildlife than there is on this trip with her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stewart. I'd be well pushed to separate that from our own Northern Gannet, despite your excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful "in flight" shots..They have quite a wing span..Nice series..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely series of shots. It looks very much like the gannets I'm familiar with growing up in Newfoundland, Canada. There are marvelous films of how they dive bomb for food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an elegant bird. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Gannet looks so sleek and handsome! I marvel at how they dive from a great height in order to get deeper in the water table.

    Very nice series of photographs, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely in flight shots of this fast birds.

    ReplyDelete