Wednesday 3 May 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 562 - Tasmanian Native Hen

 The Tasmanian Native Hen (Tribonyx mortierii) is an endemic flightless rail, only found in (would you believe it) Tasmania!

They are pretty common over about 3/4 of Tassie, and in fact the road from Hobart Airport into the city is a reliable place to find them.  I suspect this makes them one of the easier endemics to find anywhere in the world.  (I suppose the hardest bit is getting to Tasmania in the first place!)

These birds are constantly alert, and sound a sound honking call when alarmed.  They also run very fast.  At one point in my recent Tassie trip I had a family (?) of four the dashed down the middle of the road in front of my car for at least 200m before they worked out that a left turn would be a good idea.

The local name for this bird is Turbo Chook, or just Chooks and they do rather behave like chickens.

These are pictures from a number of locations around Tasmania.

As you may be able to see in the 3rd picture, their tail has a very 'up and down' structure rather than a 'left to right' build.  This tail is always in motion.









As ever, to join in with WBW, just click the big blue button.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

  1. I agree, a very easy endemic, Stewart, but I think Cuban Blackbird is even easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So they are a tail wagging bird...I guess they're happy. I'm surprised that they haven't somehow strayed from Tasmania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Well, that is one of the cutest local denizens ever! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shots Stewart. Never knew they were flightless. yes the Swallows, Martins are in now although mot many Swifts as yet. they are always the last to arrive adn first to leave. Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Their wing structure is interesting. I think they must lack primary feathers but have substantial and rather long secondaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful portrait series for the hen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see a native bird doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven’t heard the term Chook since my grandmother died. Love that local name. The red eye and yellow beak make for a handsome bird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Stewart :=)
    I must say that this unusual looking Tasmanian bird does look alert, and has wonderful bright red eyes. The thought of a family of hens running down the road in front of your car made me smile.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. J'aime leur couleur gris bleuté. Ce sont de jolis poulets 😉.
    Amitiés

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does seem they act like domestic chickens. ( only recently learned the word 'chooks' and I like it!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting. Its shape reminds me of a rooster or peacock.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos well done. Hope all is well, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete