Wednesday 31 May 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 566: White-necked Heron

The White-Necked Heron (Ardea pacifica) is also known as the Pacific Heron, and its widespread in Australia - although absent from parts of the centre of the continent.  I consider this to be a slightly unusual bird to see, and it is far less common than the White-Faced heron in my part of Australia.

This bird, which is a juvenile, was feeding in a textbook location - flooded grassland.  The extent of the spots on the neck indicate that this is not an adult bird. 

This bird was feeding on frogs (I think) and crickets.  You can see one the crickets in caught in the pictures.  The bird was also regularly hack up a pellet of undigested material, which suggest to me that crickets are a pretty rough food source.

The bird was on one side of a road feeding in the grass and I was parked on the other side. Unfortunately for me, the bird took a dislike to a passing truck and flew off!  Bit of a shame really as it was being rather cooperative!











 As ever, you can join in with WBW by clicking the blue button.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. A very handsome and rather muscular-looking heron. Too bad the truck spoiled your shooting session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    There is always something of a gauche elegance about herons, I feel! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great captures of this beauty, the last shot especially, I’ve watched Great Blue Herons here catch frogs too. Always interesting to watch them in the marshland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different sort of hero I have yet seen before

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely set of shots of the heron Stewart. Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some great pics while it was there! Boo truck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots of the heron.

    ReplyDelete