Wednesday 10 May 2023

Wild Bird Wednesday 563 - Bullers Albatross

Back out on the depths of the ocean this week with Buller's Albatross (Thalassarche bulleri).

This bird shows some of the things that you have to look for when trying to identify species of albatross.  Variation in head colour, beak colour and general shape and 'build' are all important.

To be honest, one of the best ways to know which albatross you are looking at is to ask an expert - and luckily for me there were a few on my boat.  Unluckily for me, most of my attempts at pictures of Buller's on the wing failed!  Better luck (or maybe skill) later!

As you can see from one of these images, the Buller's has a much darker head and different colour beak to the more abundant Shy Albatross.






As ever, to join in with WBW click on the link/button below.  SM

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

  1. I love gulls but I seldom see them where we live in-land! Great photos. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting face. Love that yellow beak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    A fine looking bird! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a pleasure Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nigdy w życiu nie widziałam na żywo albatrosa. Zrobiłeś piękne zdjęcia, gratuluję! Gatunek niezwykły.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you look in a field guide it seems quite clear that identifying albatrosses will not be especially difficult, until you are standing on the deck of a heaving boat (with perhaps your stomach heaving too), that is, with the birds bobbing in and out of sight with great regularity. Then there is the matter of holding your binoculars and camera steady. All in all, however, pelagic outings are great fun. Nothing quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Stewart :=)
    I think you did a great job of capturing the Bullers Albatross. Their long beak is clearly identifiable, but I wouldn't know if it was a Bullers or any other Albatross. Thanks for sharing, and hosting. I'm a little late in posting, but I'll try to do it today.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am seeing plenty of seagulls and terns in Queensland too

    ReplyDelete
  9. My browsers are having problems, yikes. But .I like the pictures. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete