Wednesday 22 April 2015

Wild Bird Wednesday 144 - Silver Gulls

These are some more images from my recent boat trip out on to Port Phillip Bay, if you have not caught up with the albatross from that trip, have a look here.

Silver Gulls are our default gull here and they are generally just dismissed as 'seagulls' by most people - but seeing as I saw these on the bay, are they bagels? (!)

The traditional classification of this species places it, along with most other 'gulls' within the genus Larus - and when paired with the specific name novaehollandiae its name meant Ravenous Australian Gull - which is just about perfect.  Today this bird is placed within the genus Chroicocephalus along with many other smaller gulls. This name refers to a dark or coloured head, which is only visible in this species as a juvenile.  Sometime progress is not progress at all really!

I think of these images as being in two groups - the first are the individual birds, where the thing that most strongly drew me to the images was the way that the light is passing through the primary feathers on the wings - I really like the ghost like quality of those images.

The second batch of images are group shots of gulls following our boat fighting for scraps - I have tried various crops to build balance in these pictures.  While I have cropped to remove a few wind tips and such like, the rest of the birds are as in the original images (i.e. no cut and paste!).  I really like these for the wildness they show.










Due to the pale nature of most of these images, they really do look much better bigger and with a dark surround.  So, please click on one of them to bring up the slide show!

And now it's over to you - click the blue button and off you go.  Could I also remind people that I would really like it if they could invite any (bird) bloggers they know of who may enjoy being part of WBW to come along and join in!



43 comments:

  1. beautiful soft body feathering but quite a dust-up in the sky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post on this Silver Gull, Stewart.. I like the last couple of shots with the group of gulls.. They look hungry.. Thanks for hosting, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this gull and you have some amazing shots to share. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gulls have an ethereal beauty that is brought out especially on the black background. The group shots are full of action and interaction. Very nice photo show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous images..Great collection of shots..Love the colors or lack there of..Sorry, no birds lately to join you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, Stewart. What stunning images. I'm still breathless having watched these beauties in flight. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those last four have an artistic element Stewart - brilliant pictures. I'm trying to think of any gull species that is not "ravenous"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome photos of the gulls in flight, one of the challenges I've set for myself is to get better photos of birds in flight

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome shots, Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely fantastic shots. I´m really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice collection of shots. Those greedy birds really wanted their buddy's snack, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful series Stewart! Your suggestion to click through the slide show should be taken by all - presents them nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I hadn't read your text I might have believed they were doing some kind of circle dance in that one picture. Soft gray lovely gulls whether soaring, feeding, fighting, or playing. Thanks for this great meme!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos of all the silver gulls. They are so common that I often don't take much notice of them but you have really caught their fighting perfectly in the last set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots Stewart. Think that the second batch is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They have an absolutely heavenly quality. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, fabulous captures Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did exceptionally well Stewart to capture this species against such a light sky and show off their aerial manoeuvrings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are stunning seagulls, the groups of them are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic captures they are indeed, Stewart!! I, too, love the groups of seagulls!! Superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jonathan Livingston at his best! I love seagulls....I love the sea. I love to see the sea and the gulls!

    Wonderful photos...your photos are always wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are stunningly beautiful photos, Stewart! I too love the light filtering through the feather tips...like a gossamer veil!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I flipped through your pictures before reading your blog and really thought you had cut and pasted those bires going every which way. They look so beautiful and sweet until you see going all directions. Fantastic pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They have such graceful wings! I like the action shots of the gulls together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The excellence I have come to expect. Lovely captures. I like the energy of the group shots.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like #6 and #8. Great action!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful series of Gull shots. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They are delightful and you got some wonderful images. Made me think of the seagulls that I saw last month in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Stewart,
    Beautiful images of these gulls.
    Beautiful bright and sharp pictures.
    Photo 6 and 7 are my favorite.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  30. They are pretty smart looking gulls. Love the action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love the first 5 in flight shots, Steward - excellent captures!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great interaction. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well they are aggressive little characters, aren't they. We often forget the battle to survive can be a vicious one. These pictures are crisp and radiant and the group shots are defining. They speak to greed and could easily represent a corporate board meeting. These birds however are trying to survive ... in the board room it is strictly self aggrandizement. Wonderful, meaningful shots, Stewart. Sorry I am late ... when I came to post you weren't there yet and then I forgot that I hadn't linked :) Oh my ... hope your week has been rewarding.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow - these shots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really like these gulls you have over at your end. The last shots of the acrobatics are beautiful. Gulls are very misunderstood birds. I grew up with them myself and people generally think of them as rats with wings. I don't see it:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful captures of the gulls!

    ReplyDelete
  37. All your flying gull photos are great, but the action shots of the gulls playing and cavorting together are sensational. I would like to participate but haven't figured out how to get shots of the birds in my yard yet, I guess I need a blind or a feeding station. I don't get out to wild places much.

    ReplyDelete