Tuesday 21 June 2016

Modern Art?

Outside the Gallery of Modern Art in Glasgow is a statue of the Duke of Wellington on a horse.  When I was there, the Duke was wearing a rather nice traffic cone as a hat!  I thought this was a rather good image - so I took some pictures.

I have since found out that the putting a cone on the Dukes head, and sometimes on the head of the horse as well is a bit of a Glasgow tradition, which seems to date back to the 1980s!  You can read about it here.




You can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.

16 comments:

  1. Ha ha - love that cone on his head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cone head, takes me back to the Saturday Night Live show. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the cone on the Duke's head! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He has had a cone hat every time I have been to Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave it to the Scots to have such a sense of humor!!! I'm thinking the first time might have involved a bit of Beer or Whiskey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very find statue of the Duke and he is sporting a very nice red hat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing wrong with a bit of added colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely statue, more like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. some people don´t have useful things to do I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Modern art for sure..Not all art is tasteful..Lovely statue..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was watching some V-8 Supercar racing from your land down under and the commentators referred to those cones as "witches hat" which I thought was good. In fact I like a lot of the terms they use in Australia for everyday items that we attach mundane common names to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha, that's an unusual tradition. I haven't heard of such yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, that's a funny tradition!

    ReplyDelete