Monday, 27 June 2016

The measure of all things

While I was in Glasgow I noticed these metal plates on the wall of the "City Chambers" at the east end of George Square.  Today, there are insanely complex ways of determining the exact length of a meter and such like.  While these metal measures are not really some form of international standard, I do like the way they point back to a simpler age.  Unfortunately, the measures of the longer distances are either no longer there, or they were hidden.



You can find more close-ups of our world at Macro-Monday2.

5 comments:

Naquillity said...

pretty neat how they have a plaque showing one these measurements. have a great day/ week...

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

That is pretty cool. I'd take my tape measure there and see if it was correct or not.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

and yet...don't they go by that meter-thing?

Lady Fi said...

Nice shots.

Missy George said...

Pretty neat..It's hard to measure something with a plaque though..;)