Monday 27 June 2016

The measure of all things

While I was in Glasgow I noticed these metal plates on the wall of the "City Chambers" at the east end of George Square.  Today, there are insanely complex ways of determining the exact length of a meter and such like.  While these metal measures are not really some form of international standard, I do like the way they point back to a simpler age.  Unfortunately, the measures of the longer distances are either no longer there, or they were hidden.



You can find more close-ups of our world at Macro-Monday2.

5 comments:

  1. pretty neat how they have a plaque showing one these measurements. have a great day/ week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty cool. I'd take my tape measure there and see if it was correct or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and yet...don't they go by that meter-thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty neat..It's hard to measure something with a plaque though..;)

    ReplyDelete