With the possible exception of wolves, the poor old Koala must be subject to more myths than almost any other animal that actually exists.
1. They are not a bear - in fact they are more closely related to Wombats than any other species
2. They are not drunk - yes, they are fermenting their food, but thats because they (just like any other mammal) cannot digest cellulose, and they are waiting for the bacteria in their guts to do the work for them.
3. They are not in a drugged stupor because of toxins in the leaves - see above!
1. Yes, they do spend most of their time asleep - but thats because they are waiting for the bugs to do their work. And also, if your diet was basically nutrient poor cardboard, you would spend as much time asleep as possible!
2. Yes, their brain does not fill their cranium! A good 30% of the volume of the cranium is taken up with a kind of pale jelly. In the evolutionary war between low energy use and university graduation, low energy use won!
But there are, never the less, a cracking animal!
You can find more pictures from around the world at Our World Tuesday. SM